Monday, December 3, 2012

Bread

Finding a good bread is really hard!!!

Lisa at 100 Days of Read Food has a wonderful post about buying bread; you can find it here: What-should-be-in-your-sandwich-bread

I am currently buying Stroehmann's simply 100% whole wheat:

Here is a side panel with the ingredients:


whole wheat flour, water, sugar, wheat gluten, yeast, cultured wheat flour, soybean oil, sea salt, grain vinegar, soy flour.



Good...but not great. I can do better!!!  I can do BEST by buying a bread machine and making my own.  Was hoping to get one for Christmas, but looks like our favorite college football teams will BOTH be playing bowl games in Orlando this year, 4 days apart from each other. Trying to figure out how to do that while I am still looking for a part-time job.  But I digress! How can I do BETTER? Let's see. This bread has, according to the packaging,

no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors (that's good)
no high-fructose corn syrup (that's good)
baked with "natural" ingredients (hmmm...questionable phrasing)
cultured wheat flour (acceptable) I did some research on this one and it's okay, made from whole wheat
        flour, distilled vinegar and water.  A quick google search will answer questions easily.
soybean oil (not the best oil choice)
sugar; I would like to know what kind of sugar it is. (not good)

I really wish I had a Whole Foods near by...but alas the closest of is at least a 30 minute drive.  I do have a Wegemans, which is supposed to carry a good "healthy" section about 20 minutes away.  One of these days I am going to make the trek over, when I have time to kill.  It's like visiting a mall for the first time; you need time to browse and figure out where all the good stores are!

Lisa's bread, from the link above, does not have a bakery near me.  Closest is over an hour away.  I'd love to hear comments about what breads you all eat!!

Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment