Sunday, December 23, 2012

The 12 Treats of Christmas - 11th

"On the eleventh day of Christmas, the treat lovingly baked by me...
 

snowmen and reindeer!"

What is Christmas without some sugar cookies? Last year my kids decided that they were not interested in rolling out dough, cutting out shapes with cookie cutters, then decorating afterwards.  My husband and I ended up doing all the work.  So this year I found some fun cookies to make that still kept it seasonal but did not require all the work.

My sugar cookie recipe of course is not clean, but as we established earlier I'm trying my best to make clean and tradition work together, and a little every now and then does not hurt.  My way, :).

I have a Cookie Book from Betty Crocker dated 1975 that I get most of my recipes from. The peanut butter cookie recipe that did not clean up well came from this cook book too.  I am going to make this recipe as written, cause I want to make sure these come out well.

Mary's Sugar Cookies
Source: Betty Crocker's Cookie Book 

1 1/2 c sifted confectioners sugar
1 c softened butter
1 egg (I used 2 egg whites)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond flavoring
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tarter

Mix sugar & butter, blend in flavorings.  Mix dry ingredients together then blend into sugar/butter mixture.

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.  By hand, roll balls of dough and flatten to make circles  For the reindeer, I squished in the sides to make a face shape.  Bake at 375.  The recipe says 7-8  minutes, but time will depend on the size & thickness of your cookies.  Once the cookies are baked & cooled, decorate. 

I made a drippy icing with confectioners sugar, bit of vanilla, a some milk to thin.  I usually use 1 c sifted confectioners sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla, and 2 tablespoons milk.  Adjust milk to the consistency you want.  For chocolate, add 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder. 

For the reindeer I used red peanut M&Ms for the nose, broken pretzels for the antlers, & candy eyes that I found.  I have seen on the internet people used chocolate chips or brown M&Ms for eyes as well.  Here they are drying on the tray, sorry they don't look pretty!




For the snowmen, I took a large marshmallow (I am saving the ones I made for hot cocoa) and some icing. I did not buy this icing for these cookies, all are leftovers from my pre-clean days.  I hate wasting money, so I don't want to throw away anything I paid for!


Happy Eating!  Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment