Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saving $$ by eating clean & Costco

One of the first things I noticed was my lower grocery bill.  I was in total shock at hoe much food I got for so little money, once those prepared foods came out of my shopping cart.  My hubby & I were each eating 3-4 frozen lunches a week; my kids were eating at least 2-3 bags of potato chips a week; then you had crackers, granola bars, ice cream...oh my goodness!!

When you fill your grocery cart with fruits, vegetables, and proteins, and dairy, you really are not spending that much.  I found I could easily afford the higher priced organic produce when I was not spending $4 on each bag of potato chips.  For that same $4 I could buy a 5lb bag of potatoes and a bottle of oil; and make the equivalent of 10 bags of potato chips!!  In my estimation, a regular-sized bag of potato chips is 2 potatoes.

I do a lot of shopping at Costo; they have a large variety of organic foods, if you take the time to look.  They carry a lot of "all natural" (I know I've said to be weary of that phrase but if you read the ingredients you can see what is good and what is not) and many items that contain no preservatives.


My favorite find at the moment:  

salsa!! While salsa is easy to make on my own, this is perfect for having on hand for unexpected company.




So am I saving money with this? Yes, I am. For $7.69 I get TWO of these 38 oz bottles. They go really far.  Organic tomatoes run me $3 a pound at the moment; to buy that many tomatoes, this is worth it.

I know ORGANIC does not necessarily mean CLEAN.  I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this!

Keep eating, Kathy


Edit: just found this - all about clean eating AT Costco!! Shopping at Costco

No comments:

Post a Comment