Saturday, October 11, 2014

Gallbladder Removal & Recovery

Today is Saturday.  The surgery was this past Monday.  I am still living on bland foods, sigh!

Monday was not too bad coming out of anesthesia.  In my rush to get my kids to school and get to my 7am arrival call, I forgot to bring my own crackers with me, so I was stuck eating the saltines at the hospital, along with some ginger ale after the surgery.  First soda in...I don't know how long!  Months, easily.  Maybe even a year at this point.  So my day did not start out unprocessed, but it ended that way as I was unable to really eat anything else until late, when I had some home made chicken broth with a few grains of rice floating around in it.

Tuesday brought more broth and rice, with the rice slowly taking over in the broth to rice ratio, and some home made applesauce.

Wednesday, I woke up feeling awesome.  So good.  Steel cut oats with a bit of organic skim milk to thin and a sprinkle of cinnamon for flavor for breakfast.  Lunch, well, that's where the problems started.  I felt so good I fried an egg, melted two pieces of cheese on an organic english muffin, put a piece of ham in there too, with a small swirl of organic ketchup for flavor.  BIG MISTAKE. I can't capitalize that statement big enough.  I enjoyed every single bite...5 minutes after finishing it I thought my chest was going to explode.  Full blown acid reflux attack.  I will save you the details of my pain, but had some applesauce later that night just to put something in my stomach.

Thursday, still dealing with the aftermath of the bad choice I made Wednesday.  Back to rice and broth...at every meal.  Applesauce as a snack.

Friday, still dealing with the aftermath of the bad choice I made Wednesday.  Back to rice and broth...at every meal.  Applesauce as a snack.

Here we are on Saturday, almost feeling better. Peach Chobani for breakfast.  Melted American cheese (I know, but it's the lightest cheese I had in the house, everything else is very heavy) on whole wheat bread for a modified grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.  Broth and pasta for dinner.  I made a home made apple crisp Slow Cooker Apple Crisp for my family for dessert and had a TINY bowl; so far, so good.

Hoping Sunday is a bit better, as we are heading off to Comic Con tomorrow.  Not only will it be a challenge to eat unprocessed, but finding anything that I can eat at all will be tough.  I bought a box of Ritz crackers for emergency company during my recovery; I think they are coming with me tomorrow...just in case.

Happy eating - eat something good for me!!
Kathy

P.S.  The above recipe comes from one of my favorite clean eating sites.  I made the recipe as written except substituted turbinado sugar for the sweetener.  I love the molasses flavor the turbinado gives to the apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment