Saturday, December 15, 2012

The 12 Treats of Christmas - 3rd

 "On the third day of Christmas, the treat lovingly baked by me...

was 3 ingredient meringue cookies!"


This recipe was brought to me by my son, courtesy of his French teacher.  They were having a party and the teacher asked for parent volunteers to make some traditional French foods.  My kids are programmed to volunteer me for anything baked.  This recipe came out so yummy he asked me to make them again for Christmas.  Perfect recipe for the season, as they look like little white piles of snow.

You will need:
4 egg whites 
1 cup white sugar 
       (I know, not clean but some recipes you just HAVE to use the white stuff, so I used the organic I keep in the house for just that.)
1/4 tsp cream of tarter



 


Beat the egg whites until stiff; make sure you keep ALL the yolk out, as it will ruin the consistency and hence ruin the cookie.






Mix together the cream of tarter and the sugar in small bowl; SLOWLY add the sugar mix to the egg whites.  The recipe says 1 tablespoon at a time. Well, to me this seemed like it would take forever so I dumped it in 1/3 at a time. Big mistake, and had to start over. The next batch I followed the instructions and perfect they came!!  




The recipe says to brush the cookie sheet with oil & lightly flour, I used parchment paper and it worked good.  When the cookies were done, I could slide them off the baking stone and let cool on the paper. They come off the paper so easily when cool!  I tried to use a scoop to put the dough on the paper, but it kept getting stuck, so I just used a tablespoon and my clean finger. Easy!!



Bake the cookies at 300 for 10 minutes, lower heat to 250 and bake for 25 minutes more.   They came out a little browner than you can see in the picture.  They do not spread at all, so you can put them as close together as you want.

So yummy!!!  Come back tomorrow for day 4!  Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment