Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The 12 Treats of Christmas - 7th

"On the seventh day of Christmas, the treat lovingly baked by me...
 

a yummy yule log!"

 We have wanted to order one of these for years!  So this year I got a bit..ummmm...brave and tried to make one. Came out pretty cute.  And pretty clean too!!

Using the King Arthur Flour moist chocolate cake recipe from Day 5, and the whipped cream recipe I talked about for Thanksgiving, a buche de noel was born!!


I was going to stop here and just lightly dust with confectioners sugar to look like a light snow had fallen, but a friend of mine talked me into adding a chocolate layer on top. Hard to do cleanly, but I found something on the internet I was able to adapt.

And whalla!!  What do you think? I was going to make it look pretty, make little mushrooms from the marshmallows I made the other day, maybe paint some leaves with the chocolate, but my kids dug into it as soon as the chocolate was hard. I was lucky I got this picture!


The chocolate coating is made from chocolate chips (use whatever brand is clean enough for you) and oil (again, which ever type you feel is clean, as there is so little the taste is not important.) 1 cup chocolate chips, melted in microwave, stir then stir in 1.5 tablespoons oil.  Spread over the top, let cool.  Give you a slight crunchy coating, kind of like a Yodel. :)

Enjoy!! Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment